Wednesday, December 13, 2006

A Smaller Footprint

Over the past few months I have been thinking about how I want to reduce the impact of my family has on the earth - leaving smaller footprints. And I have been doing the following:
* Turning the lights off when we are not in the room
* Turning the appliances off standby when we are not using them - including the phone charger!
* Keeping the temperature of the house lower than comfortable (18degrees) - wear a jumper & a beanie.
* Recycle everything our council will take
* Buy less generally
* Cycle instead of drive
* Grow our own veges - well, we've made the bed for some spring action
* do things digitally - why print photos? Why buy CD's? Why print essays 3 times?

I have just been looking at this website and they suggest:
* Make a quick call to switch your electricity supplier - I was going to do this anyway!
* Change your holiday plans - flying is BAD
* Fill up your car with biodiesel - hmm, not poss for me with petrol car.
* Revise your shopping list - yep, will start shopping at the local farmers market again & will make more conscious choices.

Other things I can do:
* Save our rain water for the garden
* Buy secondhand (esp books for Uni)
* Sell a car & Buy a more economical car to share
* Convert the kombi van to unleaded...
* Don't burn the gas fire...
* Work hard on consuming less...

Right, I have been wanting to do this list for ages. It is good to make declarations and put them down in writing. Now I just need to have integrity with it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home