Sunday, February 05, 2006

The Big Art

"All the arts we practise are apprenticeship. The big art is our life" M.C.Richards

I love this quote, I am busy creating the big art - my life is full on: messy, thrilling, loving, frustrating, joyful life and I'm loving it.

This week I did 4/7 days of Morning Pages and they weren't as long as I would have liked. My artist date was rushed and I wasn't alone - the kids & I went ceramic painting. Every year we paint breakfast plates and put their handprints on them so we watch them grow. I have needed a gravy boat for a long time and so I painted one up - can't wait until Tuesday to pick them up!

What I enjoyed from this weeks chapter was Honest Changes - I describe this as being Authentic. So often when we experience a loss of power it is because we are being inauthentic or we are out of integrity. Over the past two years I have been really working on getting Authentic - distinguishing the pretense and then working through that. Last week my big breakthrough was all about Integrity - where Integrity is honouring yourself as your word. I had a real problem with my husbands lack of integrity when I got authentic about it - I actually have a real problem with my own lack of integrity - not doing what I say I will do. So this week I have been cleaning this up and I am feeling like a different person - stuff from long ago that I had kept quiet about that I was pretending was OK.

I went and had a drastic haircut on Monday night (oh I guess this could have been the other half of my artist date!?) and boy do I feel good! It is a very trendy funky haircut and more daring than I have had in a long time. It was something I have been thinking about for a while - I had grown my hair long because my husband likes long hair...now my hair reflects who I really am again! yay!! All part of rediscovering my true identity.

I like the putting the affirmations it in writing. Its like thoughts don't have power if they aren't expressed/shared in language. Kind of in line with what I was saying before about honouring our word as ourselves - we are what we say.

Buried Dreams was fun - the goal setting course I did Saturday a week ago was this excercise. We had fun cutting and pasting pictures of our dreams into a little goal book. I must keep doing this and being present to my dreams. And my big thing for this year is to have more FUN FUN FUN! Lighten up. Just tonight as I was tucking my 8yr old into bed he said that I'm "not fun anymore" arrrgh. And its true I don't make the time to play games with them like he would like - but then on the other hand he did spend an hour pummelling me around in the local pool this afternoon & he doesn't have any other Mum who dances around the house as silly as his Mum ;)

Reading Deprivation - I haven't created the time to read books...I'm always telling myself I must read more. Kind of knowing that when I get into a good book, my complete lack of self discipline means the kids don't get fed, the dog doesn't get walked and the house falls down around my ears until the book is finished...I did refrain from reading the news and blogs and there was no TV.

Extended Artist Date - I am thinking weekend in Paris - but all alone!? eeek. I would definitely be OUT of my comfort zone. But I love this quote - "Until we experience freedom of solitude, we cannot connect authentically". Since I like the challenge of being out of my comfort zone I am going to do Paris! Oh, how I love paris all the Art Galleries! yum

And I enjoyed writing to me from when I'm 80:

Dear 31 year old Holly,
Make sure you live life to the full, that you are always living a life you love. Make a difference to the lives around you and continue transforming and having breakthroughs - life is a work in progress - you never get it all sorted out. Live consciously and enjoy the small things. Be generous and compassionate - accept and love people exactly the way they are and the way they are not. Make sure you always keep active and keep a beautiful garden with lots of flowers. Ensure that every year you go on a holiday to somewhere you haven't been before, where you will appreciate a different culture. Swim in the sea as often as you can. Make time with God and time for yourself a priority - filling your cup so it can overflow. Always have a creative project to work on and keep your hands busy. Never stop learning and growing. Keep your life balanced and BE FUN!

This weeks artwork is influenced by Paul Klee. I like the naivety of his work. The poem I pulled from a box this afternoon and it was so appropriate - LOVE IT. And I really enjoyed the meditative state of doing something with my hands, time to be still, to think and really enjoy the music - I was loving Pink Floyds "I need a dirty woman" hehe







2 Comments:

Blogger Jana B said...

You sound like you are like me... when you get into a book, all other life on earth stops until you'd finished!!! :)

4:56 PM  
Blogger GreenishLady said...

Hi, I am passing on an Artist's Way inspired tag that came to me via Spiritdoll. Pick it up at my blog? Hope you'll play

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home