Monday, May 21, 2007

Magnolia




To say the magnolias were splendid this year would be a major understatement. I'm not sure if I am noticing the spring flowers so much more because I am just out and about more (not working) or if they really are more spectacular than usual.






Yesterday I read this and think it should be shared. Written by Julia Margaret Cameron about 100 years ago:


"...that consummate flower - the magnolia - a flower which is, I think, so mysterious in its beauty as if it were the only thing left unspoiled and unspoiled from the garden of Eden. A flower a blind man would mistake for a fruit too rich, too good for Human Nature's daily food. We had a standard Magnolia in our garden at Sheen, and on a still summer night the moon would beam down upon those ripe, rich vases, and they used to send forth a scent that made the soul faint with a sense of the luxury of the world of flowers".

my I do love the use of such rich and sumptuous language - delllicious!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Dragonflydownunder said...

Truly glorious!!

11:06 PM  
Blogger Mary-Sue said...

Mmmmmm. Magnolificient! Yum.

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home