Thursday, May 31, 2007

Lovely Limerick

Speak Softly
To complain and demand is absurd,
without first considering your words.
Try courtesy first
before things get worse;
you should not have to hurt to be heard
{Tom Fonseca}
These are good words to remember...
I have just handed in 2 essays today - one of them on limericks and sonnets. Limericks are nearly always funny and crude. This one makes me laugh:
There was a young man from Peru,
Who had nothing whatever to do;
So he took out his carrot
And buggered his parrot,
And sent the result to the zoo.
The sonnet I worked on was Shakespears Sonnet 116, which I also read at my bro Paul and Sharon's wedding a couple of weeks ago:
Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediements, Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove.
O no, it is an ever fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the wandering star to every wand'ring barque,
Whose worth's unknown although his height be taken.
Love's not time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
but bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.
Oh my, I DO love words. Words and colours inspire me - i'm so happy studying what i am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home