Thursday, February 22, 2007

Soft Grey Gentle Rain


Uni started 3 weeks ago, and one of my resolutions for this year is to cycle where I can. So, I cycle to Uni, it's beautiful - I ride through a forest, then through Richmond Park, then on 5mins of road into the lovely grounds of the Uni. It also happens to be the quickest way for me to get there. In the past 3 weeks there has been about 3 days with no rain - this means that I cycle in mud and being a mountain bike, everything on the front tyre spatters onto my face. I arrive covered in mud, from head to toe. I peel off the layer of mud, sit in my fast cooling sweat for 2hr lecture - ending up a bit chilled before peeling the layer of mud back on and cycling home again, not sure what is acid filled rain falling from the sky or muddy water coming from the ground that leaves my face dripping. It is far from a pleasant experience - however, as I cycle I dream of warm summer days, the pending scent of spring - this gets me home. Then I have to peel off the layer and let it dry if it's Tuesday or wash it if it's Thursday. Then I curse this blasted country for being so damn wet and grey. Why do I live here when family in Australia is in the midst of a gorgeous summer? Then some days - probably days when I've had more sleep the night before and everything is a whole lot better - I love the soft grey skies, the gentle rain nurturing the trees & washing the city. Got it, I just need to go to bed earlier - then things will always be great because I will feel better! Should I go take a nap or should I read Vasari, first ever art historian, and the Renaissance....zzzzzzzzz.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home